Community Alert – 18th District Armed Robberies

To print a copy, CLICK HERE.

9/21/21 Public Safety Webinar Recording – Event Co-Hosted by RNRA and Alderman Reilly 42nd Ward

On Tuesday September 21, 2021, RNRA and Alderman Brendan Reilly co-hosted a webinar so that public safety officials could address residents and business owners about incidents of disruptive and unlawful activity in our community in recent months.

This public event featured the 18th District’s new Commander, Jon Hein, and Deputy Chief, Michael Barz. They responded to a series of summarized questions posed by RNRA Public Safety Committee Chair Joe Vietri on behalf of the more than 750 individuals who registered to participate in the webinar.

Please click on the link below to access a video recording of the webinar.

9-21-21 Public Safety Webinar Recording

The RNRA wishes to thank Alderman Reilly, Commander Hein and Deputy Chief Barz, as well as everyone who registered for the event and took the time to submit questions in advance. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will schedule future webinars as required to keep the neighborhood informed. In the meantime, please be aware of your surroundings, don’t hesitate to call 911, and attend your local Beat Meetings.

Stay safe and well,

River North Residents Association
info@rnrachicago.org

Smart 911 – A new FREE service

Community Alert Form Alderman Brian Hopkins – Ward 02: Large Gatherings of Vehicles & Downtown Traffic Concerns

September 17, 2021

Dear Neighbors,

Throughout the day I have been discussing last night’s surge of car caravans with local police commanders and Superintendent David Brown. The 2nd Ward office has received a large number of concerns about the lack of police control over the roadways last night.

The danger of roadways being closed by celebratory traffic, and the impact that has for emergency vehicles, cannot be overstated. It was very difficult for police and emergency resources to move throughout the city last night. Due to major roadways an intersections being blocked, many emergency vehicles were not able to travel through neighborhood zones. This unplanned and unpermitted activity endangers residents experiencing health or safety emergencies.

I ask the greater Chicago community to refrain from joining any large car caravans in the downtown area and along major roadways this evening and this weekend. Please celebrate responsibly, and with respect for your fellow Chicago neighbors.

I will continue to share concerns, reports, and video submitted by 2nd Ward residents with the police command structure as they work to coordinate a city-wide crime and safety strategy, and will remain an advocate for consistent and adequate police coverage in our 2nd Ward neighborhoods.
Sincerely,

Alderman Brian Hopkins
2nd Ward

2nd Ward Webinar Series: Motorcycle & Drag Racing Enforcement 

I continue to work closely with law enforcement professionals across the 2nd Ward on a number of public safety and street crime concerns. I regularly discuss patrols and special attentions with area District Commanders, including how I can help provide the tools they need to help monitor and maintain the 2nd Ward neighborhoods.

In addition to the three routine shifts that police patrol for the daytime and nighttime hours, the fourth watch of tactical officers is also available for coverage as needed. Some officers are assigned only to overnight hours in close proximity to entertainment districts, where late-night concerns can be more common. This past weekend saw several incidents which are still under investigation from areas around entertainment districts. Along with my staff, I continue to follow up on these investigations and discuss matters with area business leaders and stakeholders. Detectives are also working with area residents and businesses to gather substantial evidence, such as photos or video, which is essential for any prosecution.

After focusing my first 2nd Ward Safety Webinar on Gold Coast and Near North Safety, this past week featured a second 2nd Ward Safety Webinar on illegal motorcycles, vehicle noise and drag racing. Below is a segment of that online meeting where I discuss a residents concern about late night drag racing and large motorcycle gatherings.

Please click here to watch.

For those who could not attend the 2nd Ward Safety Webinar on illegal motorcycles, vehicle noise and drag racing, please email Ward02@cityofchicago.org for a link to the full recording.

Alderman Reilly In the News: WGN Radio Interview – Increased Police Presence

On Thursday, September 9, Alderman Reilly joined Anna Davlantes on WGN Radio to discuss the Chicago Police Department (CPD) increasing police presence in River North’s hospitality corridors, during the overnight hours. Please click here to listen to the interview.

Alderman Reilly was very pleased to see a visible increase in police foot and bike patrols throughout River North last weekend. CPD also reported that since September 1, 18th District officers made 10 arrests, recovered 5 illegal firearms, towed 76 vehicles, and completed 22 Investigatory Stop Reports in River North’s entertainment district.

Commander Hein has assured Alderman Reilly that this level of response will be the “new normal” until crime in River North is under control. The Alderman appreciates CPD’s hard work and is hopeful the sustained effort will make an immediate and significant impact to cure the area of criminal activity.

Additionally, Alderman Reilly is committed to leveraging all available City resources to enhance public safety. Mayor Lori Lightfoot will present her 2022 Budget Recommendations to the City Council on Friday, September 17. Alderman Reilly is eager to review the CPD budget, specifically the amount of money allocated to hiring new officers. He will be advocating that CPD hire hundreds of new officers to off-set the recent attrition of officers CPD has experienced.

Furthermore, it is no secret that morale among police officers is at an all-time low. Between mandatory over-time, cancelling days off, and reassigning officers to unfamiliar districts, their efforts are often not properly recognized. Alderman Reilly encourages residents to attend your local CAPS meeting to stay up to date on crime and safety issues, as well as develop a relationship with the beat cops who patrol their neighborhood – attend, and thank your local cops for their unwavering commitment to serve and protect.

A message from RNRA:  We encourage all residents to attend their CAPS Beat Meetings.

To find your District and Beat, CLICK HERE.

To find the date/time for your Beat Meeting and the Zoom link, CLICK HERE.

RNRA and Alderman Brendan Reilly Co-Host Public Safety Webinar with new 18th District Commander Jon Hein – September 21st – Registration Required

When: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM CDT
Where: this is an online event. Registration required. See link below to register

Dear Neighbor,

The RNRA shares the concerns of residents, businesses and visitors about recent incidents of crime in our community.

The RNRA and 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly are co-hosting a virtual webinar with the Chicago Police Department’s new 18th District Commander, Jon Hein, to address public safety matters.

Alderman Reilly will deliver introductory remarks and introduce Commander Hein, who will discuss recent criminal activity in the area and CPD strategies to improve public safety. He will also respond to questions submitted in advance by the public.

Registration is required. You may also submit a question for Commander Hein along with your registration, if you register on or before September 15, 2021.

Once registered, you will receive an email confirmation with details on how to log in to the online event. Please click on the link below to register.

I can’t make it

We look forward to welcoming you to the virtual Public Safety Webinar on Tuesday, September 21 at 4:00 PM.

Sincerely,

Mike Riordan
President

Mickie Gordon
Executive Director

River North Residents Association
info@rnrachicago.org
(312) 890-0273

Alderman Brendan Reilly Public Safety Update

Source: Reilly Reports 9/3/2021

Dear neighbors:

On Wednesday, September 2, I joined Steve Bertrand on WGN Radio to discuss the increase in violent crime in the Downtown neighborhoods, and the need for immediate action to curb this behavior. Please click here to listen to the interview.

The recent shooting incidents, fighting and robberies that have occurred this week are extremely concerning; the violence in the Central Business District has gotten out of hand.

On Monday, August 30, I asked Mayor Lori Lightfoot and Superintendent David Brown to take immediate action to increase police patrols in the Downtown neighborhoods, and assign permanent officers to the hospitality corridors to cure the dramatic spike in violent crime. Please click here to read the communication I sent to Mayor Lightfoot and Superintendent Brown.

Additionally, earlier this week I sent a memo to Superintendent Brown as a reminder of my previous requests for increased enforcement at known “drug and gang hotspots” throughout my Ward. State Street north of the Chicago River has been on that list for many years, and it is frustrating that this stretch continues to go unprotected. I have requested an immediate response to provide dedicated foot patrols until the immediate threat of public safety is abated and the “hotspot” areas are cured of criminal activity. Click here to read the memo I sent to Superintendent Brown.

Although I am a strong and vocal supporter of the Chicago Police Department and its officers, I am disappointed with the recent attrition of officers and the direction of current policing strategies, such as eliminating foot pursuits. A recent edition of Reilly Reports describes my position and plans to urge a top-down reevaluation of public safety policies; click here to read that edition of Reilly Reports.

Furthermore, although I don’t have the authority to direct CPD, I am committed to leveraging all available City resources to enhance public safety. I have allocated significant portions of my Aldermanic Menu to fund the installation of Police Observation Cameras and License Plate Readers, which assist CPD detectives in catching criminals. Additionally, I use my legislative powers to provide CPD with more tools to address crime and safety issues.

My hope is that Mayor Lightfoot and Superintendent Brown will increase police patrols in the Downtown neighborhoods, and assign permanent officers to the hospitality corridors. Please stay tuned to Reilly Reports for future updates.

Sincerely,

Brendan Reilly
President Pro Tempore
Alderman, 42nd Ward

September is National Preparedness Month – OEMC and City of Chicago Partners Launch the Safe Chicago Program 

September – National Preparedness Month (NPM)

September 25:  National See Something, Say Something Day 

The Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) in conjunction with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is encouraging residents to participate in National Preparedness Month throughout the month of September. National Preparedness Month (NPM) is observed each year to promote family and community disaster planning year-round. As we prepare to protect everyone we love in advance of possible disasters, OEMC is introducing the Safe Chicago public safety program, installing life-saving kits in City of Chicago properties to be there when needed for active shooter incidents, workplace accidents and other emergency situations requiring immediate medical attention before first responders arrive.

“OEMC takes steps every day to plan and keep Chicago residents and visitors safe. During National Preparedness Month we are introducing Safe Chicago to provide Bleeding Control Kits to be utilized in an emergency to help save lives throughout the City,” said Rich Guidice, Executive Director (OEMC). “We also want to encourage everyone to recognize that disasters and emergencies can happen at any time and being prepared can be the difference between life and death.”

Safe Chicago
Safe Chicago is a new public safety program launched by OEMC in partnership with the Chicago Fire Department, Chicago Police Department and Assets and Information Services (AIS). This new program will provide Bleeding Control Kits at occupied, City-owned or leased facilities. OEMC and AIS have already begun installing 426 wall mounted Bleeding Control Kits in 269 City of Chicago buildings, which includes: City Hall, Chicago Public Library locations, Chicago Cultural Center, DFSS Senior Centers, CDPH Medical Clinics and other locations. Each kit can treat up to 8 victims and is equipped with a tourniquet, gauze, shears, gloves and an instruction manual to be used in an emergency before first responders arrive.  Life threatening bleeding emergencies can be the result of falls, penetrating injuries, gunshot wounds and more. Knowing how to control bleeding from a serious injury will keep you and those around you safe.

Prepare to Protect 
The 2021 National Preparedness Month theme is “Prepare to Protect: Preparing for disasters is protecting everyone you love.” Each week OEMC will offer an activity all residents can perform on their own or with family and friends. This also includes the National See Something, Say Something Day on September 25.  Emergency preparedness information, tips and helpful links are available on OEMC’s website at Chicago.gov/OEMC

• September 1-4Make A Plan: Know how to prepare for disasters that include how you will communicate with family and friends during disasters, reviewing insurance papers, and much more. Include learning to stop the bleed, CPR and other life-saving techniques in your plan in advance of a crisis.
  • September 5-11: Build A Kit: You’ll need items to survive during a disaster that includes supplies you may need at home as well as a go kit of items you may need if you must evacuate quickly to a safer location.
  • September 12-18Prepare for Disasters: Find out the best way to limit the impacts a disaster may have, like having the right insurance coverage or what can you do to your home to make it stronger and more resilient.
  • September 19-25: Teach Youth About Preparedness: Take the time now and talk with your children to reassure them, especially in this pandemic time. Teach them lessons on preparedness. Make family preparedness a fun annual event.
  • September 1-30: Sign-up for Smart911. Create a profile for you and your family which will give 9-1-1 information to help in an emergency – www.Smart911.com
  • September 25: National See Something, Say Something Day

[Read more…]

Crisis Intervention – De-Escalation Technique Training – Sept 7

Register Today:  CLICK HERE

NAMI Chicago’s Crisis Intervention & De-escalation Techniques webinar will teach participants how to recognize when someone is in crisis and how to use verbal de-escalation techniques. CIT and other emergency resources will be discussed, including how to utilize their Helpline in crisis situations.

To print a copy of this flyer, CLICK HERE.